Sunday, November 07, 2004

Moral values

Out of disappointment for the outcome of the election, like many, I have resigned to the fact that we should all search our own souls to define that which is different from the victors. When I read Carolyn Young’s Nov. 5 letter, “Bush won election on moral values”, I thought of a poem I wrote in 1980, titled, “Political Illusion,” see at www.alwaddell.com . When I read the gospel quote, in Mrs. Young’s Letter, “The lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear,” and the reference to the bloomed Christmas cactus in November after Mrs. Young returned home from giving thanks to the lord at Mass on Nov. 3, made me wonder whether Mrs. Young was aware of Matthew 5:9, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.” The administration Mrs. Young voted for have given many of us the impression that peacemakers are considered weak. The tax cut given to rich must have escaped Mrs. Young’s list of moral values. Luke17: 24,25, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! “For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” If moral values are defined from one side of the scale, then, Mrs. Young’s bloomed November cactus is a sign that all the voters against the war in Iraq are wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home